The warm days of summer are perfect for cultivating an amazing array of summer vegetables or beautiful blooms. To inspire your green thumb, here are 5 top tips for summer gardening:
- Weed control: Mulch is your friend, as is a good weed control garden fabric before planting your seedlings. We found this awesome site that has six top tips for summer weeding, including one of my favorites – weed when wet! After a rain, weeding is SO much easier! Read all six here.
- Deadhead those blooms: Removing spent flowers helps plants put more energy into flowering again. Annuals, and repeat flowering shrubs and perennials will offer more color, more often during the season if you deadhead.
- Say goodbye to the bugs. While you’re weeding, watch for sign of insects or disease pests. Protect the good bugs (bees, ladybugs, worms) and ditch the detractors! For advice on this topic, we headed to our friends at HGTV to learn about 16 of the peskiest garden bugs and how to keep your garden safe. Read them all here.
- Pick your veggies: Keep repeat fruiting plants such as tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and squash picked cleanly as soon as they ripen. Leaving them on the plants to over-mature or rot slows or halts production!
- Fertilize: Mid-summer is a good time to see what your soil needs. Heavy rains or even dry-spells can leave your plants without the property resources. I found a great resource to help you better understand what your plants might need. Read fertilizing tips here.
Wishing you a happy summer garden. Please feel free to pass these tips and links on to your friends who might want to try their green-thumb skills this week as well! Have a great day!
DIY Tip for the Week
Consider kitchen roll-out cabinets. They are one of the easiest upgrades you can make to your kitchen. They bring everything that’s tucked out of sight in the back of cabinets front and center and actually gain usable storage space. They are easy to order from your local big box stores like Lowe’s or Home Depot. Watch your measurements carefully, so as not to order the wrong size. When you measure the opening in the front of the cabinet, be sure to account for the door, hinges and other obstructions.
Real Estate Tip of the Week
When selling in the summer, highlight your outdoor living spaces with bright, fresh colors and clean entertainment areas for fun in the sun.
Words of Wisdom
To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour. - William Blake
The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul. - Alfred Austin
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - A. A. Milne
Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
A garden must combine the poetic and the mysterious with a feeling of serenity and joy. - Luis Barragan